Caltrans – 710 Corridor

Information Flyer English_Page_1We have become aware that certain property owned by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) located along the 710 corridor may put you and your family at risk for a variety of safety issues.

We recently obtained a $10 million settlement against Caltrans on behalf of the family of a four-year-old boy who suffered permanent brain injury from exposure to lead-based paint in his home, located along the same 710 corridor where your residence is located.  This particular result was entirely dependent on the facts of that specific case, and results will differ based on different facts. This information is not intended to be a guarantee or representation of future results in other cases as each case is evaluated resolved based on its own facts.

If your house or apartment complex is more than 30 years old and you’re concerned that your property has not been well-maintained by your landlord, you may wish to be aware of the following issues:

  • Carbon monoxide exposure. A colorless and odorless gas, chronic carbon monoxide exposure can lead to serious symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness and blurred vision, memory problems, nausea and vomiting or even death. Signs that carbon monoxide levels are too high in your home include: gas flames that are yellow-orange instead of blue and condensation on walls and windows due to high humidity from incomplete combustion.If you are concerned about the carbon monoxide levels in your home, call your gas company immediately to have a carbon monoxide test performed. They will come out free of charge.
  • Lead poisoning. Lead-based paint exposure can cause permanent brain damage. Children are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning because they may touch or ingest lead-based paint chips and dust. Symptoms of lead poisoning in children can include: behavioral issues, trouble concentrating at school, speech and language impairment, or a tendency to eat non-food items.If you believe your child is experiencing any of these symptoms from lead, discuss with your pediatrician immediately and call your local health department and/or report the property for lead inspection.
  • Mold exposure. Chronic exposure to mold can lead to a variety of respiratory issues. Mold usually grows in damp places, such as bathrooms, kitchens and basements. Symptoms of mold exposure can include shortness of breath, asthma, bloody nose, rashes, dizziness or fatigue.

If you believe you or your family have suffered a serious injury or health issue from exposure to carbon monoxide, lead, mold or any other unsafe conditions in your rental, call McNicholas & McNicholas for a free consultation. McNicholas & McNicholas is an experienced Los Angeles-based law firm with more than 20 years of success protecting the rights of tenants or homeowners who have suffered significant loss or injury from lead poisoning, exposure to carbon monoxide or mold.

Disclaimer: This is an advertisement for services by a law firm.  Nothing in this advertisement is a guarantee of any future results.  All cases are decided on their own merits.  The result summarized in this advertisement was dependent on the facts of the case, and results vary based on the facts of each case.