Landlord-Tenant Lawyer for Slumlord Cases in California
Trusted Los Angeles attorneys protecting your rights as a tenant
Landlords have a responsibility to uphold and maintain safe and healthy living conditions in an apartment, condo, townhouse, multifamily home, duplex or residential hotel. Therefore, as a tenant, you have a right to appropriate living conditions, and to ensure the landlord provides appropriate amenities and conditions such as running water, adequate heat source, access to sanitary and safe bathrooms, maintenance, and proper entrances and exits.
The attorneys of McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP have a special emphasis on protecting the rights of tenants or homeowners who have suffered significant loss or injury from exposure to mold, have been illegally evicted or locked out, or have been forced to live with dangerous conditions on the property, such as poisoning by lead paint and structural defects.
At the forefront of representing tenants living in properties protected by the Los Angeles Rental Stabilization Ordinance (LARSO), we have the experience and resources to assist you in fighting against slumlords.
Are you experiencing more than one of these pervasive problems?
A slumlord often overcharges for a property in a poor neighborhood that is in disrepair or is deteriorating, and allows the health and safety of his or her tenants to be compromised by tolerating the following hazardous conditions to occur:
- Structurally unsound exterior surface including leaking/damaged roofs, faulty stairs and railings, crumbling walls, and deteriorating flooring.
- Lack of potable water including adequate water supply and waste management connections.
- Hazardous electrical connections and unsafe gas and other heat source storage.
- Unregulated water temperatures, dangerous liquids and combustible gases.
- Accumulation of animal or human waste product with no adequate source of removal.
- Infestation of pests like termites, cockroaches, rats and other unwanted inhabitants.
- Presence of black or toxic mold.
- Lead exposure.
In order to bring a successful landlord/tenant claim, you must prove that the issues affecting you are pervasive. If the sanitation company fails to pick up your garbage for one week, it is not considered a pervasive problem. If garbage is piling up in the hallways, around the entrances and exits, and around the complex’s dumpsters, and has been doing so for weeks or even months, then the problem is pervasive and could lead to a landlord/tenant claim.
You may also have a claim if you can prove that the building manager’s negligence has led to water damage, a fire, a gas leak, or other problem which affects multiple units.
I think my landlord is a slumlord; how can I prove it?
If you believe that your landlord or building manager is actually a slumlord, you should contact and attorney about your concerns. You can also collect evidence of his/her neglect of your building and its tenants. This evidence can include:
- Photos and/or videos of structural damage, such as exposed wiring, broken steps, accumulation of refuse, etc.
- Copies of all text messages, emails, voicemails, and/or letters that you have sent to management, requesting repairs or changes.
- Receipts for any damages you have paid to have fixed.
- A copy of your lease.
- A copy of your proof of residency letter.
- Copy of a housing inspection report, if applicable.
- Proof of retaliatory measures taken after you have filed a complaint, such as a rent increase, a refusal to renew a lease, a removal of amenities, etc.
In California, it is illegal to for landlords to retaliate against tenants who have filed complaints against them, or who are in a dispute.
Why choose McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP?
The Los Angeles landlord tenant attorneys of McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP have extensive experience handling multimillion-dollar claims to get our clients the compensation they deserve, regardless of income, ability to pay or financial circumstances. We are committed to ethical practices using our extensive resources and a team of experts to guide you through the complexities of slumlord litigation. Some tenants suffer unnecessary illness, injuries and even death from poorly managed rental units. We have experience with different types of serious injuries such as:
As one of the premier personal injury law firms in Southern California, we have the experience and reputation for litigating complicated cases on behalf of individuals and classes, to get our clients the results they want and deserve.
Call our LA landlord/tenant attorneys today for the help you need
At McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP, our goal is to hold slumlords accountable and ensure that rental units are kept habitable, safe and healthy for individuals, children, families, and elders. If you or a loved one is injured or suffers poor health due to deplorable living conditions in California, contact our office or call 310.474.1582 for a free consultation.