Los Angeles Pedestrian and Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Trusted advocacy for those injured in pedestrian or bicycle crashes throughout California
Where pedestrians and cars coexist, there is an increased risk of pedestrians being injured or killed by drivers. Even small cars can cause pedestrians and bicycle riders to suffer catastrophic injuries or deaths. If a truck strikes a pedestrian or bicyclist, the walkers and riders will be lucky to survive. Pedestrian and bicycle accidents are almost always preventable – and often the fault of the vehicle driver.
The experienced Los Angeles pedestrian and bicycle accident lawyers at McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP are dedicated to fighting for the rights of those injured because of another driver’s negligence, and those who have lost loved ones in a pedestrian or bicycle accident. We work with investigators, question everyone involved, and use the discovery process to show how the accident happened and who is responsible. We seek compensation for all your economic and personal damages. Schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with our legal team, and know that you will never pay attorney fees until we have recovered compensation for you.
- How dangerous are pedestrian and bicycle accidents in California?
- What are some of the common causes of bicycle accidents in Los Angeles?
- What types of injuries occur in Los Angeles pedestrian and bicycle accidents?
- What damages are available for a pedestrian or bicycle accident claim?
- Who is responsible for a pedestrian or bicycle accident in Los Angeles?
- How much time do I have to file a pedestrian or bicycle accident claim?
- How can an experienced Los Angeles bicycle and pedestrian accident lawyer help me?
- Do you have a pedestrian and bicycle accident lawyer near me?
How dangerous are pedestrian and bicycle accidents in California?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a pedestrian died every 81 seconds in the US in 2020, and 55,000 pedestrians were killed nationwide.
The NHTSA also reported that in 2019, bicycle accidents made up 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities include a cyclist, killing 846 riders. Male bicyclists were six times as likely to be killed in traffic accidents as a female. Seventy-eight percent of the fatal bicycle accidents happened in urban areas, like Los Angeles. Alcohol was a factor in more than one-third of these fatal accidents.
What are some of the common causes of bicycle accidents in Los Angeles?
Bicyclists who ride in urban areas are constantly on the lookout for other vehicles to make sure that they can make it to their destination in one piece. Drivers of motor vehicles are often not keeping an eye out for bicyclists with an equal degree of vigilance, which can lead to disaster.
The following are a few examples of common factors that cause bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents:
- Driver intoxication
- Distracted drivers
- Failure to yield right of way
- Failure to check the rearview mirror or camera before backing up
- Failure to stop before entering a crosswalk
- Defective road design
- Dangerous conditions
There are other causes of pedestrian and bicycle accidents aside from distracted motorists, including:
- Uncontrolled or unleashed dogs
- Bicyclists on the sidewalk
- Opening car doors
- Skateboarders on the sidewalk
- People running on the sidewalk
- Children being left unsupervised near moving traffic, in parking lots, or by driveways
- Large truck or bus drivers
- Speeding emergency vehicles
What types of injuries occur in Los Angeles pedestrian and bicycle accidents?
When it comes to traffic accidents, pedestrians and bicycle riders are at a clear disadvantage because they are not protected by the hood, roof, front, back, or sides of a vehicle during a collision. A motor vehicle versus pedestrian crash is sometimes called a "knockdown," because the person is physically knocked down when hit by a moving vehicle. Many bicycle riders may also fall even if the car doesn’t physically strike the bicycle. If the car does strike the cyclist, the rider suffers two impacts – the force of the car and then the fall to the ground.
In a crash involving a vehicle and a pedestrian or a bicyclist, serious injuries can occur, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) disrupt the normal function of the brain, and the effects of the injury can be mild (concussion) or severe, with ongoing health problems, physical and mental disability.
- Back and neck injuries in a bicycle accident might include slipped, herniated or ruptured discs, and neck injuries, which cause pain and disability.
- Spinal cord injury can result in total paralysis leaving the injured person relegated to a wheelchair, or partial paralysis with the loss of sensation and function below the site of the injury on the spine. A SCI can also cause ongoing health challenges such as infection and respiratory problems.
- Bone fractures such as skull fracture, broken collar bone or ribs, broken pelvis, hip, knee, ankle, foot, arm or wrist can occur in a pedestrian or bicycle accident.
- Limb loss or amputation is a devastating injury that can happen because the pedestrian or bicyclist have no protection from vehicles on the road.
- Cuts and lacerations from hitting the pavement if you are thrown from your bicycle, from debris on the road, or broken glass scattered around the accident scene.
- Internal injuries such as kidney damage, ruptured liver or spleen, punctured lung, internal bleeding and other injuries that can occur from the impact trauma of a pedestrian accident.
Some pedestrian and bicycle accidents are so serious that you will not be able to work while the injury heals. Our attorneys work tirelessly to represent your personal injury claim and obtain the largest possible settlement with the insurance company, or in a civil trial, if necessary.
We also file wrongful death claims if a loved one died in a pedestrian or a bicycle accident in the Los Angeles area.
What damages are available for a pedestrian or bicycle accident claim?
Once we have successfully proven the liability of the party who caused your injury, you may be able to recover compensation (current and future) depending on the facts of your case, including:
- Medical expenses related to the injury
- Lost wages from time spent recuperating from your injuries
- Disability for permanent injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Other losses
We work with your doctors and our own network of doctors to verify your injuries, the medical care you will need, and all the ways your life is harder because of your injuries.
Who is responsible for a pedestrian or bicycle accident in Los Angeles?
The people liable for the accident generally include:
- The driver of a car, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle
- The owner(s) of the vehicle if different than the driver
- An employer
- A trucking company involved in a shipment if truck driver causes the accident
- A social host, tavern, or bar may be liable if they serve a minor (especially if the minor is visibly intoxicated) in some cases
- The state of California, a state agency, or a state entity if poor road design or maintenance caused the accident
How much time do I have to file a pedestrian or bicycle accident claim?
The statute of limitations for pedestrian and bicycle accidents in California is two years. Some exceptions may apply. For example, claims involving governmental agencies generally require a six-month notice. Do not wait. It is best to contact our office as soon as possible after a traffic accident.
How can an experienced Los Angeles pedestrian and bicycle accident lawyer help me?
At McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP, our Los Angeles pedestrian and bicycle accident lawyers understand the challenges you face when you are pursuing compensation for injuries sustained after being hit by a car. Bicycle or pedestrian accidents can be complicated, but you can be assured that our attorneys are ready to represent you and fight for your right to fair compensation, regardless of the level of complexity of the case. Our personal injury attorneys prepare the strongest case possible to hold negligent parties and their insurers liable for your injuries and losses.
In cases where the defendant tries to shift blame for the accident on to you, we are diligent about presenting the truth about what happened so that you can recover the maximum compensation possible. If you have been injured in a bicycle or pedestrian accident and you have questions about your legal options, schedule a consultation so that we can answer your questions and advise you on next steps.
Do you have a pedestrian and bicycle accident lawyer near me?
We meet personal injury clients at our Los Angeles office located at 10866 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1400.
We also meet clients at their home or a healthcare facility when necessary. Online video conversations are also an option.
Our lawyers will answer all your questions and guide you through each phase of the claims process.
Work with an experienced Los Angeles bicycle and pedestrian accident attorney today
At McNicholas & McNicholas, LLP, we offer aggressive representation to clients who have been injured in a bicycle or pedestrian accident caused by someone else’s negligence. Call our Westwood office today or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a Los Angeles lawyer.