With more than 25 years’ experience as a trial lawyer, Partner Patrick McNicholas exclusively represents victims in catastrophic injury, product liability, sexual assault and other consumer-oriented matters, such as civil rights, aviation disasters and class actions.
Mr. McNicholas has tried and settled numerous noteworthy cases, including an $85 million class action settlement for an auto safety defect against Mercedes; $44 million settlement for air crash victims; $41 million class action settlement in a consumer fraud lawsuit (the largest ever in Orange County); $10.8 million jury verdict awarded to a minor molested by a school teacher; $10 million jury verdict to a construction worker who suffered a compound femur fracture; $6 million settlement on behalf of a family for the death of their father while working in an MTA tunnel and many more.
Over the last three decades, Mr. McNicholas has authored and lectured on a multitude of topics, including “The Effective Use of Your Expert Witnesses,” “Preparing an Employment Case for Trial” and “Cross-Examination of the Defense Expert.” He serves on the Board of Directors for Urban Compass, an organization he co-founded that works tirelessly to provide a continuum of stability and support through education for kids living in the inner city.
Among his scholarly endeavors, Mr. McNicholas served as Student Body President at his alma mater, University of San Francisco, and was an intern with the White House prior to law school. Mr. McNicholas has also been a guest lecturer at Pepperdine University and has taught Trial Advocacy at Whittier College School of Law.
National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys
National Law Journal Plaintiff’s Trailblazers
The Best Lawyers in America©
Class action settlement for an auto safety defect against Mercedes.
Settlement for air crash victims.
Class action settlement in a consumer fraud lawsuit.
Jury verdict awarded to a minor molested by a schoolteacher.
Jury verdict to a construction worker who suffered work-related injury.
Settlement for shooting victims’ families in wrongful death lawsuit.
Settlement on behalf of a family for the death of their father while working in an MTA tunnel.
- Juris Doctor: McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento
- Bachelor of Arts: University of San Francisco
- Political Science
Professional Associations & Memberships (Past and Present)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- University of California Irvine Civil Justice Research Institute, Board of Advisors
- American Association for Justice Leaders Forum, Patron
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Board of Governors
- Board of Directors for Urban Compass, Member/Founder
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Board of Governors
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Board of Trustees
- University of San Francisco, Board of Trustees
- Los Angeles Trial Lawyers’ Charities, Honorary Board of Governors
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- National Law Journal Plaintiff’s Trailblazers
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Southern California Super LawyersTop 100 Lawyers
- Benchmark LitigationCalifornia Litigation Star
- Benchmark LitigationLabor & Employment Litigation Star
In the News
When you’re involved in a car accident, your mind immediately jumps to who was at fault. When the at-fault driver…[Read More]
If an employer or co-worker makes your life miserable because he or she views you as “different” and acts on…[Read More]