Matthew S. McNicholas
As one of the leading trial lawyers in California, Partner Matthew McNicholas represents victims in a range of areas, including catastrophic injury, wrongful death, employment law, product liability, sexual assault and other consumer-oriented matters, such as civil rights and aviation disasters.
As Panel Counsel to the Los Angeles Police Protective League and the United Firefighters of Los Angeles City, Mr. McNicholas also has an emphasis in representing police officers and firefighters in whistleblower-employment actions against their departments. He has recovered more than $100 million over his career on their behalf in cases involving racial and sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation, and wrongful termination.
His skill set goes well beyond the courtroom, having established the Loyola Law School Trial Advocacy Scholarship, which provides high-achieving law students the opportunity to receive both tuition assistance and a full-time, paid position at McNicholas & McNicholas as a summer scholar.
Mr. McNicholas is also a contributor to many other charities within the community, including Urban Compass, which provides educational services to underprivileged children; the Serra Project, which offers housing and support to people living with HIV/AIDS; the Library Foundation of Los Angeles; and AbilityFirst, which provides services to children and adults with disabilities.
American College of Trial Lawyers
American Board of Trial Advocates
Panel Counsel to L.A. Police Protective League and United Firefighters of L.A.City
Class action settlement on behalf of consumers against Epson America, Inc.
Verdict on behalf of a 38-year veteran of the Los Angeles Fire Department for whistleblower retaliation.
Settlement for a woman who was hit by a car and severely injured while visiting the Venice Beach boardwalk.
Settlement on behalf of two firefighter recruits who were discriminated, harassed and retaliated against.
Settlement on behalf of a Los Angeles Police Department Officer who faced retaliation from her captain.
- Juris Doctor: Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
- Bachelor of Arts: University of California, Los Angeles
- Graduated with honors
- Loyola High School
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Leaders Forum Member
- American College Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- Los Angeles Police Protective League, Panel Counsel
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
- Best Lawyers in America©
- Best Lawyers in America© Lawyer of the Year
- National Law Journal Plaintiff’s Trailblazers
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Daily Journal Top Plaintiff Lawyers
- Daily Journal Top Labor & Employment Lawyers
- Daily Journal Top 100 Lawyers
- Daily Journal 20 Under 40
- National Law Journal, Elite Trial Lawyers Finalist
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyers Top 100
- Benchmark Litigation California Litigation Star
- Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Litigation Star
In the News
When you’re involved in a car accident, your mind immediately jumps to who was at fault. When the at-fault driver…[Read More]
If an employer or co-worker makes your life miserable because he or she views you as “different” and acts on…[Read More]