Matthew S. McNicholas
As one of the leading trial lawyers in California, Partner Matthew McNicholas represents victims in a range of areas, including catastrophic injury, wrongful death, employment law, maritime law, landlord-tenant habitability, product liability, sexual assault and other consumer-oriented matters, such as civil rights and aviation disasters.
As Panel Counsel to the Los Angeles Police Protective League and the United Firefighters of Los Angeles City, Mr. McNicholas also has an emphasis in representing police officers and firefighters in whistleblower-employment actions against their departments. He has recovered more than $50 million on their behalf in cases involving racial and sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation, and wrongful termination.
His skill set goes well beyond the courtroom, having established the Loyola Law School Trial Advocacy Scholarship, which provides high-achieving law students the opportunity to receive both tuition assistance and a full-time, paid position at McNicholas & McNicholas as a summer scholar.
Mr. McNicholas is also a contributor to many other charities within the community, including Urban Compass, which provides educational services to underprivileged children; the Serra Project, which offers housing and support to people living with HIV/AIDS; the Library Foundation of Los Angeles; and AbilityFirst, which provides services to children and adults with disabilities.
- Juris Doctor: Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
- Bachelor of Arts: University of California, Los Angeles
- Graduated with honors
- Loyola High School
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
- Best Lawyers in America©
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Daily Journal Top 100 Lawyers
- Daily Journal 20 Under 40
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyers Top 100
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Leaders Forum Member
- American College Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- Los Angeles Police Protective League, Panel Counsel