Landlords have a responsibility to uphold and maintain safe and healthy living conditions in an apartment, condo, townhouse, multifamily home, duplex or residential hotel. Therefore as a tenant, you have a right to appropriate living conditions and to ensure the landlord provides appropriate amenities and conditions such as running water, adequate heat source, access to sanitary and safe bathrooms, maintenance and proper entrances and exits.
The attorneys of McNicholas & McNicholas have a special emphasis on protecting the rights of tenants or homeowners who have suffered significant loss or injury from exposure to mold, have been illegally evicted or locked out, or have been forced to live with dangerous conditions on the property, such as poisoning by lead paint and structural defects.
At the forefront of representing tenants living in properties protected by the Los Angeles Rental Stabilization Ordinance (LARSO), we have the experience and resources to assist them in fighting against slumlords.
A slumlord often overcharges for a property in a poor neighborhood that is in disrepair or is deteriorating and allows the health and safety of their tenants to be compromised by tolerating the following hazardous conditions to occur:
- Structurally unsound exterior surface including leaking/damaged roofs, faulty stairs and railings, crumbling walls and deteriorating flooring
- Lack of potable water including adequate water supply and waste management connections
- Hazardous electrical connections and unsafe gas and other heat source storage
- Unregulated water temperatures, dangerous liquids and combustible gases
- Accumulation of animal or human waste product with no adequate source of removal
- Infestation of pests like termites, cockroaches, rats and other unwanted inhabitants
- Presence of black or toxic mold
The personal injury lawyers of McNicholas & McNicholas have extensive experience handling multimillion dollar verdicts to get our clients the compensation they deserve regardless of income, ability to pay or financial circumstances. We are committed to ethical practices using our extensive resources and team of experts to guide you through the complexities of slumlord litigation. Some tenants suffer unnecessary illness, injuries and even death from poorly managed rental units. We have experience with different types of serious injuries like:
- Catastrophic Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Burn Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Class Action
As one of the premiere personal injury law firms in Southern California, we have the experience and reputation for litigating complicated cases to get you the results you want and deserve.
Our goal is to hold slumlords accountable and ensure that rental units are kept habitable, safe and healthy for individuals, children, families and elders. If you or a loved one is injured or suffers poor health due to deplorable living conditions, contact us today at 866.664.3055.